Friday, September 27, 2013

Don't Call Them Ear Flaps

Why? It's derogatory. Also because I have them on my head.

The first earlid tests are complete! Last week I became a guinea pig, minus the part about being a rodent. The result? I became the proud owner of an earlid.

Ellen attaching the earlid prototype to my poor ear

Ellen, our prosthetics master, attached the earlid prototype to my normal ear using a few methods. We were testing which would provide the strongest hold and the ability to detach and re-adhere. Then we began our first tests of the actual movement of the earlids. We devised a semi-pully method, which we will work on further in the next week.

Now that's an ear lid

Once they're on your ears for a while, you actually stop noticing them. Definitely a slight tugging on your ears, but overall not uncomfortable. I did have to scrub pretty well behind my ears after taking them off though.

Next in the queue for the prosthetics: creating a new mold with a few changes, including size and texture; attaching a wire to puppeteer the earlid; and deciding on the best attachment strategy.

Roper, you're next!

In other news, casting is complete! Which means Lee now has parents. Locations have been found and are in the process of being locked. Script will be complete within the week. Do you hear that sweet sound? It's progress.

Stay tuned for news on our Kickstarter campaign, launching in just a few weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment